The only buffing system designed for instrument finishing.
Our exclusive professional buffing outfit features a slow 715-rpm buff speed, ideal for delicate instrument finishes.
StewMac Guitar Buffer: a compact powerhouse!
- More room to polish large guitars: 36"-long arbor shaft and a small housing for increased clearance.
- Larger buffing surface: big 14" buffs, selected especially for instrument finishing.
- The right speed: slow 715-rpm buff speed is ideal for delicate instrument finishes. Driven by a powerful 3/4-horse motor.
Features that match the industrial buffers at major guitar factories:
- Smooth running and quiet. Pillow block bearings on a half-inch-thick aluminum baseplate anchor the shaft for minimal vibration.
- 3/4-horse motor. Power for the large surface contact required to buff guitars.
"This is a factory buffer scaled for a small shop. Other buffers don't give you enough room to move the instrument, and they run too fast—burning off the finish you're trying to polish. StewMac's guitar builders and tool designers talked about what we wanted in a buffer, and what we want to avoid. No other company has designed a buffing arbor system so specifically for luthiers' needs."
—Jay Hostetler, StewMac Product Development
Complete outfit includes:
- Buffing arbor
- Motor with pulley (#3081 does not have motor)
- 4 Buffing wheels: 2 Canton and 2 Domet
- ColorTone Buffing Compounds, one of each: medium, fine and extra-fine
- Mounting flanges
- Buffing wheel rake
Outfit without motor includes everything listed above except the motor (you supply your own).
Buffing Arbor Also sold separately
Arbor shaft diameter: 1"
Overall length of shaft: 36"
Maximum buffing wheel: 14"
Motor for Buffing Arbor Also sold separately
Includes 1.89" pulley
#3080 Includes motor for domestic use Also sold separately
This 120-volt AC electrical appliance has a U.S. standard Type B plug with two flat parallel prongs and a grounding pin. 6.2 amps, 550 watts.
Buffing Wheels Also sold separately
Big 14"-diameter buffing wheels where chosen especially for instrument finishing. Our Complete Buffing Outfit includes 2 of each: Canton flannel wheels for coarse and medium compounds, and 2 Domet flannel wheels for fine compound for an extra-high gloss. For maximum buffing surface, up to three wheels can fit on each side of the arbor (four wheels are included with the outfit). Additional wheels are sold separately.
ColorTone Buffing Compounds Also sold separately
ColorTone Compounds are designed specifically for musical instruments.
These new formulas will give your instruments a professional shine for a showroom grade high gloss finish. 24-ounce buffing bars are smaller than most, but still plenty of compound for years of use in both factories and small shops. Important: use separate buffing wheels for each grade of compound.
Buffer Base Not included, only sold separately
This sturdy platform is made of rigid 1-1/2" thick plywood (38mm), and is drilled and counterbored for accurate arbor and motor alignment. Mount it to our versatile ShopStand, or to your own bench or stand. Dimensions: 11-3/4" x 20" (29.85cm x 50.8cm). Or you can build your own using the plans that accompany the buffer.