One-knob titan of tone
This amp is a timeless studio darling whose tiny size hides tremendous punch and versatility.
The 5F1 circuit was originally meant to be a student amp but wasn’t kid stuff for long; rock’s finest guitarists hauled it off to their studios and recorded some of the greatest songs ever recorded. Clapton recorded "Layla" on it. Joe Walsh used it on "Rocky Mountain Way" and it was one of Keith Richards’ favorite recording amps.
StewMac has lovingly recreated this timeless amplifier in our '57 Mini Tweed 5W Amp Kit. This is one of our Icon Kits: loving reproductions of vintage classics.
Every time that red jewel light illuminates, and you hear that crackle as you plug in, you'll not only tap into the magic of this very special amp, but you'll also take extra pride in knowing you built it with your own two hands.
If this project sounds hard, don't worry. We've gone to great lengths to make these kits something a complete beginner can tackle. This is our simplest kit and a perfect place to start. It comes with all the parts you'll need to complete this project in just a few evenings.
- The cabinet interiors are genuine 3/4" North American Pine (not plywood), just like the ones made in the Fullerton factory in the 1950s
- Superior craftsmanship on the Tweed covered exteriors with perfectly aligned seams
- Premium quality hardware
- Top-shelf 6V6, 12AX7, 5Y3 tubes and vintage spec Heyboer transformers to give your amp the perfect vintage tone
- High-quality period-authentic resistors, CTS pots, Orange Drop caps, and Switchcraft jacks for their authentic tone and a lifetime of trouble-free use
- Authentic fiber eyelet boards just like the ones used in the original vintage amps
- Period-correct pushback wire
- Top-quality 8" speaker
- We created easy step-by-step instructions for each amp kit, breaking down every task into clear, bite-sized pieces. With hundreds of full-color photographs and illustrations, these instructions make this an easy, fun and rewarding project—even for first-time builders.
Need Help? Our trained staff is standing by!
If you get stuck don't worry, we're here to help. Our amp team is just a phone call away.
You don't need a shop full of tools either!
The great thing about these amp kits is they only require a few relatively inexpensive tools.
Amp cabinet dimensions
Height: 13" (33.02cm)
Width: 14-1/2" (36.83cm)
Depth: 8-7/8" (22.54cm)