Build a guitar that makes a visual statement
We love the bold look of Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa)! Each piece is totally unique with intricate spider-webbing, variegation, and amazing color. We paired these sets with an equally incredible top, Master Grade Carpathian Spruce (Picea abies).
If you're looking for something different, both visually and sonically, this special kit is for you. It's a favorite pairing of boutique builders, and customers have been asking us to make a Cocobolo kit for years.
Cocobolo's vivid appearance displays colors ranging from light orange to deep burgundy. Under finish these colors come alive and the depth of the variegation is further revealed. It's complemented by the creamy white, exceptionally straight-grained appearance of a Carpathian Spruce top—the perfect contrast to the striking look of Cocobolo.
Tonally this combination is killer. You can dig in as hard as you want with a flatpick or delicately fingerpick the guitar. Both instantly respond with a rich and balanced voice infused with complex overtones.
We are only making 25 of these highly-desired kits, so when they are gone, they're gone.
EXTREMELY LIMITED—Only 25 available!
But wait, it gets even better...
When you buy one of our Limited Edition kits you'll also receive a set of FREE Waverly Tuning Machines!
Let's face it, these kits are pretty special. That's why we've decided to include a FREE set of Waverly Tuning Machines. This kit comes with our Polished Nickel Tuners with White Knobs that will provide a great look with the white binding, bleached bone nut and saddle, and ivoroid bridge pins.
These kits are perfect for beginners or pros alike. If you don't have all the specialized equipment you need to thin tops or bend sides, or you want a head start that will save you hours and hours of build time, this kit (like all our kits) has all the critical work done so you can start and finish this build with ease. This kit includes the best of everything, including:
- Master Grade Carpathian Spruce top with soundhole and rosette channel
- AAAA Cocobolo back, joined and cut to shape
- AAAA Cocobolo sides, accurately bent
- Ebony fingerboard, bridge, and overlays
- Carved Mahogany neck, precisely machined neck joint at the 14-fret, dovetail or bolt-on
- Quartersawn Spruce pre-carved braces
- Bleached bone nut and saddle
- Upgraded precision-machined Waverly ivoroid bridge pins, matching ivoroid end pin, and ivoroid strap button
- FREE Waverly Tuning Machines with Bright Nickel hardware and white knobs
- White binding
- Frets, rosette, and trim
- Hot Rod two-way adjustable truss rod
- Pre-cut heavy cardboard molds for trouble-free body assembly
- Full-size blueprint and bracing template
- Illustrated 36-page spiral-bound instruction book
- 71 minute, step-by-step DVD: Building an Acoustic Guitar Kit
We're with you every step of the way
When you buy one of these guitars, you get a lot more than "just" a kit, you get a complete course in guitar building.
The instruction book, written by master luthiers Todd Sams and Dan Erlewine, is extremely detailed—no other kit has anything like it. You also receive a 71-minute step-by-step DVD (over $40 value) with Todd and Dan that walks you through every part of the process to guide you to a successful build.
Plus, our expert techs are here to help. We're just a phone call away for advice or help if you need it.
It's vital to take the proper safety precautions when working with Cocobolo. While it's an excellent tonewood and stunningly beautiful, Cocobolo ranks near the top on the wood allergy list, so please treat it with the caution it deserves. Wear long sleeves, gloves, mask, safety glasses, and use a dust collector when working with this wood.
Get your Limited Edition kit before it's gone.