What you see is what you get
We've photographed each set individually—what you see pictured in the first image is the actual wood you'll receive. Zoom in and check out each set's unique figure, grain, and every detail of your kit's back, sides, and top then get started building your dream guitar.
This is no ordinary kit, this limited edition WOODSTAX kit uses our highest grade hand-selected premium tone woods. We combined a AAA High Quilt Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) set and the lightest and stiffest Master Grade European Spruce (Picea abies) top so you can create a truly breathtaking guitar.
You don't need a shop full of tools
Perfect for beginners or pros alike, if you don't have all the specialized tools you need to thickness tops or bend sides, or you want a head start that will save you hours of build time, all of the critical work is done so you can start and finish this build with ease. When you open the box, you're ready to build.
These are just a few of the complicated steps that are done for you:
- Carving the neck
- Joining, thickness-sanding, and profiling the soundboard and back
- Cutting the soundhole and routing the rosette channel
- Accurately bending the sides
The quilt of the hand-selected Bigleaf Maple is not always easy to see in raw wood or on screen, but once finished the figure will explode! When you turn the guitar, the colors of the wood dynamically move and change in the light. The maple's beautiful shades of white, yellow, and pale gold will look phenomenal with the light cream color of the European Spruce. The Master Grade European Spruce top is amazingly straight-grained and looks stunning with the quilted sides. With the black binding and ebony appointments, the contrast is striking!
Together these woods create a guitar with powerful volume! Its voice is bold and crisp, with a balanced tone rich in fundamentals. The quick attack makes it perfect for both finger picking and heavy strumming, and the tone will only get better with age. Combined with the rich overtones and quick attack of the European Spruce, this is one of the most dynamic guitars you'll play.
Save when you create your custom guitar with StewMac
When you add up all the hours and money you'd spend trying to assemble all of these top quality parts from scratch, starting with our kits is an amazing deal! And with the time you'll save sanding, shaping, bending the sides, and more—it's never been easier and faster to start your building journey.
Customers tell us these guitars are comparable to $5,000 factory-made instruments, but with their own personal touches. With this top quality kit, you can build your dream guitar, just the way YOU want it, at a fraction of the cost of a commissioned custom build.
But wait, it gets even better...
A guitar of this caliber deserves the best tuners in the world, so we're giving you a FREE set of Waverly Tuning Machines with your kit. Elegant and precise, Waverly's are hand-built in the USA with the same pride and patience that you'll put into your instrument. All Waverly's come with an unconditional lifetime warranty.
This kit comes with our #4067 Nickel Tuners with Ebony Knobs that will look great with the black binding, bone nut and saddle, and bone bridge pins.
This kit has the best of everything, including:
- Master Grade European Spruce top with soundhole and rosette channel
- AAA Highly Quilted Big Leaf Maple back, joined and cut to shape
- AAA Highly Quilted Big Leaf Maple sides, accurately bent
- Ebony fingerboard, slotted
- Ebony headstock overlay
- Ebony Pre-War Belly Bridge
- Carved Mahogany neck, precisely machined neck joint at the 14th fret
- Quartersawn Spruce pre-carved braces
- Pearloid dot fingerboard inlays
- Black pickguard
- Bleached bone nut and saddle
- Upgraded precision-machined Waverly bone bridge pins
- Waverly ebony end pin and ebony strap button
- FREE Waverly Tuning Machines with Bright Nickel hardware and Ebony knobs
- Black binding
- Pre-radiused frets
- Laminated black and white purfling and herringbone rosette
- Hot Rod two-way adjustable truss rod
- Pre-cut heavy cardboard molds for trouble-free body assembly
- Full-size blueprint and bracing template
- Illustrated 36-page spiral-bound instruction book
- 71 minute, step-by-step DVD: Building an Acoustic Guitar Kit
We're with you every step of the way
When you buy one of these guitars, you get a lot more than "just" a kit, you get a complete course in guitar building.
The instruction book, written by master luthiers Todd Sams and Dan Erlewine, is extremely detailed—no other kit has anything like it. You also receive a 71-minute step-by-step DVD with Todd and Dan that walks you through every part of the process to guide you to a successful build.
Plus, our expert techs are here to help. We're just a phone call away for advice or help if you need it.
Pick your kit before it's gone!
All WOODSTAX items come with our standard 100% guarantee. If you are unhappy with the wood once you get it simply return it in its original, unworked condition for a full refund or exchange.
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING