StewMac is a leading ecommerce company providing tools and supplies to people who build and repair stringed instruments both professionally and as a hobby. We are the largest provider in the industry and many of our tools and supplies are used in the production of just about every major and boutique guitar brand.
Part of the StewMac "magic" is an extreme commitment to great products and great educational content. We were doing content marketing before "content marketing" was even a thing. We're widely recognized as one of the industry's top thought leaders because of our great content.
We are seeking a full-time videographer who will be an integral member of our content development team.
We're looking for someone with more than just the technical chops to make great looking and sounding videos—we're looking for a great teacher and story teller. Someone who can quickly learn our business—and the quirky lingo luthiers speak—and will help us tell a story that inspires and educates our customers as well as makes them really excited to get back in their shops.
This position reports to the head of our content development team and you will work alongside a fantastic team of creatives, luthiers, marketers and content experts.
Day to day activities will involve helping to craft stories and visually bringing ideas to life, pre-production planning, scripting, helping to stage shots, lighting, shooting, and editing. This is not a coffee runner job—you'll be in the thick of everything our content development team does.
- Assist in the development of all video assets including "how to" videos, product videos and complete educational courses
- Work with the content team to create compelling, interesting and educational videos from what was captured, observe brand standards, ensure consistency and relevancy to production, and monitor technical quality of end product
- Research and implement new editing technologies as needed or communicate new ideas and best practices to ensure efficiency and quality
- Execute duties assigned by the content development director
- Assist on shoots in-house/on-location which includes location scouting, equipment rental/packing, lighting, audio, and camera
- Assist with story ideation and scripting
- Pre-production planning
- Edit using Final Cut Pro X, motion graphics
- Implement simple motion graphics in After Effects
- Refine audio through sound mixing, audio post-production enhancement/cleanup, and search for music tracks
- Keep projects/archives organized
- Maintain all equipment in proper working order and oversee repairs as necessary
- Experience in the field (any industry, editorial, corporate, non-profit, academic or personal project based). Must have a portfolio of work and references.
Content Marketing Coordinator
We are seeking an Assistant Producer on our Content Marketing team who will work closely with (and report to) the head of the department.
We are looking for someone with 0–3 years of experience who possesses the following capabilities:
- A strong communicator and writer
This job is all about making our technical information fun, clear, and entertaining! You'll be researching and gathering content ideas from various subject matter experts, organizing them into a clear narrative and developing them into video scripts, articles, e-books, and more. Good technical writing and story-telling skills are key in this role.
- Someone who knows and understands guitar building, repair and modification
Yes, we realize this might be a tall order—to be a great content marketer and know your stuff about guitar building, repair, and modification—but our industry can get quite nuanced and having someone who understands how to build, repair or modify instruments/guitars would be extremely helpful. (If you don't build or repair instruments, playing guitar would also be a very big benefit.)
- Someone who's a quick study
Luthiers speak a lot of quirky lingo and fuss over a lot of seemingly small details. Understanding this will help you tell a story that inspires and educates our customers as well as makes them really excited to get back in their shops. Having an innate curiosity and desire to learn will be a significant advantage in this role.
- Someone who can work on a deadline
Much of our content production work requires quick turnarounds and tight alignment with other members on the team. To be successful in this position you will need to ideate and write quickly, take direction and feedback well and be adaptive to the production process.
- Possible on-camera work
The ability to present information convincingly and pleasantly on camera, while not absolutely necessary, is a great way to differentiate yourself.
This position is located in Athens, Ohio (1.5 hours outside Columbus) and reports to the head of our content marketing team. You will work alongside a fantastic team of creatives, luthiers, marketers, and content experts.
Day-to-day activities will involve helping to craft stories that educate our customers and bring our products to life. You'll be in the thick of everything our marketing team does.
- Develop technical information in story form to share with our large and diverse audience
- Develop marketing content including video scripts, articles, and e-books
- Research and explore subject matter from many sources as well as working with subject matter experts to learn their techniques, tips and advice
- Create and adapt material into multiple formats for various needs: video scripts, outlines, articles, social media posts, photo captions, etc
- Prior work or educational experience in Adobe Creative Suite would be a strong plus in this position
- Possible on-camera opportunities exist to present information authentically, convincingly, and pleasantly
- Developing great work on short deadlines
- Bachelor's degree in any related field (Marketing, English, etc.)
- Prior experience in content marketing is highly desired (video, social, ecommerce, etc.)
- Experience in building or repairing guitars is HIGHLY desired
- Must have a portfolio of work and references
Social Media Manager
StewMac is seeking a talented, passionate, guitar lover to work in our Athens, Ohio headquarters to lead the development of social media strategies and represent our brand voice on social.
This position is part of a strategic corporate initiative to inspire and motivate a new, younger, more diverse, generation of makers, guitar lovers, and DIYers to take up the craft of lutherie.
You will be responsible for the ideation, planning, execution, and analysis of social media campaigns. You'll work closely with our executive marketing team to bring content ideas to life across the entire digital landscape.
To be successful in this position you'll need to possess a wide range of talents:
- First, you should live, eat, breathe, and sleep all things social.
- You should instinctively "get" the cultural nuances of the platforms and how businesses and influencers succeed in social media.
- You should be a big strategic thinker.
- Strong visual creative talents (photography, videography, image editing, motion graphics, etc.)
- Good copywriting skills. Great social media is about authentic, inspiring stories, and we need someone who can help communicate a story in both images and copy.
- You should be intellectually curious and analytically minded.
- Well organized and someone who can consistently meet deadlines.
- You need to work collaboratively in a team environment.
And while it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary, you will probably need to possess:
- A love for the guitar which is just as deep (maybe more so) than your love of all things social.
- You should have your finger on the pulse of the big influencers in our space, the types of content being produced, who's doing it well and who isn't.
- You don't necessarily need to know how to build or repair guitars, but you should be curious about the craft and be willing to learn.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Strategize content for StewMac social media channels to foster lead generation
- Align with monthly content calendar to support revenue and brand goals
- Work closely with creative team to ideate/concept
- Champion and defend our brand voice
- Author and prepare visual and written content for social media posts
- Develop strategy and tactics to grow our social media following on all channels
- Measure, analyze, and report campaign metrics and identify opportunities for improvement
- Monitor industry creative best practices and maintain best-in-class library of new content opportunities
- Engage with customers on social media
- Monitors social media channels and supports reputation management
- Helps to establish guidelines and uphold social media brand voice
- Oversee social media moderation on all StewMac channels
- Social listening and engagement across the Internet
- Identify and develop relationships with key influencers
- Ideate with influencers on cross promotional opportunities
- Has a understanding of paid advertising Facebook, IG, and Google AdWords
- Creates and executes paid advertising campaigns to support social initiatives
- 3 - 5 years of experience in social media or influencer marketing
- Ability to develop big ideas and bring them to fruition
- Deep understanding of social media platforms, including their respective cultures, strengths and weaknesses (Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.)
- Identify meaningful, actionable insights within social media campaigns
- Possess a creative eye and can produce on-the-fly content
- Flexible and capable of adapting to accommodate internal and external circumstances
- Influencer who builds internal and external relationships
- Highly motivated and collaborative with strong interpersonal relationship skills
- Strategic, analytic and structured thinking ability
- Bachelor's degree required
If you're a great visual story teller who loves guitars, this may just be your dream job.
We are seeking a full-time associate producer who will be an integral member of our team. Ideally, we're looking for someone with all of the following qualities:
- An experienced visual storyteller and script writer
One of the primary functions of this position will be developing scripts that inform, educate, inspire and motivate our customers. You will work closely with the head of the content marketing department, well known guitar builders, repair professionals, videographers and marketers. An understanding of the video production process is essential in this role.
- Someone who knows and understands guitar building and repair
Yes, we realize this might be a tall order—to be a great creative story teller and know your stuff about guitar building and repair—but our industry can get quite nuanced and having someone who understands how to build or repair instruments/guitars is extremely helpful. The learning curve in this position is STEEP if you are new to the craft of lutherie. We've had prior success with players who—while they don't know much about building or repair—are insatiably curious and knowledgeable about the instrument. But to be successful in this position you must have a strong background with the guitar in some capacity.
- Someone who understands how to "sell" in social media
The art of "selling without selling" is subtle. Social media requires finesse and a keen understanding of how to inspire and motivate people toward a desired outcome without ever "pitching." We need someone who understands this buyer psychology and can help create stories that sell.
- Someone who's a quick study
Luthiers speak a lot of quirky lingo and fuss over a lot of seemingly small details. Understanding this will help you tell a story that inspires and educates our customers, as well as makes them really excited to try/take on a new project. Having an innate curiosity and desire to learn both the craft and what makes the people in this craft tick will be a significant advantage in this role.
- Script development and assisting story ideation
- Pre-production planning
- Assist in the development of all video assets including "how to" videos, product videos and complete educational courses.
- Work with content team to create compelling, interesting and educational videos from what was captured; observe brand standards, ensure consistency and relevancy to production; monitor technical quality of end product.
- Execute duties assigned by the content development director.
- Relevant educational or experience in the field
- Strong understanding of the guitar, guitar repair or guitar building
- Must have a portfolio of work and references.
Stewart-MacDonald offers competitive compensation packages including full medical, dental and vision benefits, flexible PTO, and an employee discount program!
Founded in 1968, StewMac is headquartered in Athens, Ohio. We've been an innovator and market category leader for 50 years. We encourage you to learn more about us at www.stewmac.com or check out our YouTube Channel @stewartmacdonald.