ColorTone Waterbase Brushing Varnish Instructions
ColorTone Waterbase Brushing Varnish is a special formulation with slower drying time and enhanced flow-out for ready-to-brush application.
Application instructions: Mix well prior to use. To minimize bubbles, stir gently and do not shake.
1. Sand grain-filled wood with a minimum of 320-grit sandpaper. Remove dust with a soft cloth. Do not use wax/oil tack cloths. Wash surface with Naphtha or denatured alcohol to remove any oils.
2. Apply thinned varnish as a sealer. Thin with up to 50% water. Apply 2 to 3 coats of sealer 2 hours apart. Scuff sand first coat with 320-grit paper. Let dry overnight. Scuff sand dried sealer with 320-grit.
3. Apply varnish topcoats at a rate of no more than 3 coats per day, 2-3 hours apart. Coats applied within this time frame require no sanding in between. ColorTone Brushing Varnish is applied with a brush straight from the can. We recommend a polyester bristle brush 1-1/2" to 2" wide (available at local hardware stores).
4. Let dry overnight. Sand with 320-grit, being careful not to sand through especially if there is color under the finish. Apply 3 more coats as in Step 3.
5. Let dry overnight. Attempt a complete level sanding with 800-grit paper. If this is not possible without sanding through, repeat Step 3. When a successful level-sanding is accomplished, brush on 2 final coats.
6. The finish will cure best in a warm dry area. Final chemical cure takes 200 hours.
7. Wet-sand cured finish with 800-grit or finer. Buff with coarse buffing compound, then with medium. Use fine buffing compound for the highest gloss (optional).
- Open-pored woods (mahogany, rosewood, ash and walnut) can be filled with waterbase grain filler on bare wood, or after one coat of sealer.
- Clean the brush with soap and water immediately after each application.
- For transparent colors, add ColorTone Concentrated Liquid Stains to varnish.
- For hot/dry conditions, reduce varnish with ColorTone Waterbase Retarder. Add 5-15% retarder as needed to slow drying.
Use in well ventilated areas. Avoid inhaling residue.
Keep from freezing.
Keep out of the reach of children.
EMERGENCY FIRST-AID PROCEDURES
INGESTION: Administer large amounts of water. Induce vomiting. SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.
EYES: Flush with fresh water for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention.
SKIN: Flush with fresh water for 15 minutes.
INHALATION: Remove exposed person to well ventilated area. Treat symptomatically. USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS. AVOID INHALING RESIDUE.
WARNING: This product contains a chemical(s) known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects.
|Hybrid Alkyd Resin Dispersion
|Propylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether
||23 Grams per Liter
ColorTone Waterbase Brushing Varnish